Home | Galleries | Resources | Contact Us
> Galleries > New Windows > Durobrivae > 7 Site Map

Civic history, Benefactors and Charities

The Corn Exchange, built 1698 and Rochester City Mace Bearer, c1911.

The Arms of Sir Joseph Williamson are shown above Rochester Bridge. He founded a free Mathematical school for the City in 1709, in the hope that it would provide future navigators for the Royal Navy. The Bridge Wardens Trust was founded in 1382.

The Six Poor Travellers’ House, was set up c1579, by the will of local MP Richard Watts. Six rooms were provided for up to six travellers who “must not be thieves or lawyers”. Travellers, often on a pilgrimage to Canterbury, could stay for one night only and were given fourpence to send them on their way in the morning. The Arms of Richard Watts are in the lower left corner of the panel.

[top of page] (c) All materials © 2002. All rights reserved.
(Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:33:05 +000).